Booting problems again

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:41:34 PST 2010

brown wrap wrote:

> Let me start over and maybe I can make things clear. I built the LFS
> using Centos 5.4, running with the old GRUB. Here is my system
> layout:
>
> /dev/sda has Centos with its swap being the 2nd partiton. /dev/sdb I
> use to download files and store things.
>
> /dev/sdc is two partitions, sdc1 and sdc2

I've seen some people try to do this with LVM.  That requires an initrd
and is not directly supported in LFS.  That's why I asked for the
partition type.

> In reading the book, it said to set aside a partiton for LFS, that
> was /dev/sdc2

That should be OK, but if its a very large drive, there are some
problems, especially by GRUB Legacy, starting deep into the drive.

> I built it, step-by-step, and didn't realize until it was built that
> there was a new GRUB. So I followed the instruction for the new GRUB,
> but of course that was installed on /dev/sdc2.

That's OK.

> So When I boot up, its using the legacy GRUB

And the book tells you how to test GRUB2 starting from GRUB Legacy.  Go
to GRUB Lgacy's command line and:

grub> root (hd2,1)
grub> kernel /boot/grub/core.img
grub> boot

Not that this is GRUB Legacy syntax.  GRUB2's configuration should come up.

Alternatively, change the kernel line to boot lfs directly.

  and I tried to modify
> that so it would see the 3rd drive and its 2nd partition, sdc2.

Why didn't you try using grub's command line?

You mentioned grub.cfg.  GRUB Legacy uses menu.lst.

> At
> this point I could remove sda and put sdc in its place, but LFS would
> still be on the 2nd partition, but I hope to avoid this.

It's probably OK as is.