Booting problems

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 11:28:44 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM, brown wrap <gramos at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The first time I tried to modify the old grub.conf, I just add the lines created by the new grub.cfg, must made them adhere to the format used in grub.conf. That attempted boot, resulted in no such partition.
>
> So I changed the grub.conf to:
>
> title   GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32.7-lfs-6.6-rc1
>        root (hd2,1)
>        kernel /vmlinux-2.6.32.7-lfs-6.6-rc1 root=/dev/sdc2
>
> That just brought up an empty menu with no selection at all.

Did you read this in the book:

GRUB uses its own naming structure for drives and partitions in the
form of (hdn,m), where n is the hard drive number and m is the
partition number, both starting from zero. For example, partition hda1
is (hd0,0) to GRUB and hdb3 is (hd1,2). In contrast to Linux, GRUB
does not consider CD-ROM drives to be hard drives. For example, if
using a CD on hdb and a second hard drive on hdc, that second hard
drive would still be (hd1).