Booting problems

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 11:26:21 PST 2010

brown wrap wrote:

>> So what was the error? Was this second entry to try to boot grub2
>> on sdc2? Did grub2 load or did it quit with an error? Did grub2
>> fail to boot the kernel?

>> the above information page
>>

> The first time I tried to modify the old grub.conf, I just add the
> lines created by the new grub.cfg, must made them adhere to the
> format used in grub.conf. That attempted boot, resulted in no such
> partition.
>
> So I changed the grub.conf to:
>
> title   GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32.7-lfs-6.6-rc1 root (hd2,1)
> kernel /vmlinux-2.6.32.7-lfs-6.6-rc1 root=/dev/sdc2
>
> That just brought up an empty menu with no selection at all.

Because the syntax is wrong.  See the example in the book.
Also, the kernel line is probably wrong if you didn't set up a separate
/boot partition.

It's really hard maintain patience when users ask questions without
trying to do some research, like reading the book, on their own.

It's also hard to help when the information supplied is basically "It
doesn't work" with virtually no details.