Booting problems

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 12 11:19:01 PST 2010

brown wrap wrote:

> The first time I tried to modify the old grub.conf, I just add the
> lines created by the new grub.cfg, must made them adhere to the
> format used in grub.conf. That attempted boot, resulted in no such
> partition.
>
> So I changed the grub.conf to:
>
> title   GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32.7-lfs-6.6-rc1
>         root (hd2,1)
>         kernel /vmlinux-2.6.32.7-lfs-6.6-rc1 root=/dev/sdc2
>
> That just brought up an empty menu with no selection at all.

You say this is an external disc. What kind of external disc?
What is the physical I/F? It could be that you have a problem
with, say, the USB not being brought up yet.

Try entering the commands by hand, using the TAB completion
feature of GRUB, and see what it lists as viable completions
for

	root (hd^I

etc.

Before anyone complains, there are no control characters in that
string above.
Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.