Booting problems

brown wrap gramos at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 09:07:51 PST 2010

I finshed compiling everything but can't boot. Here's my problem.
I have two internal disks and one external:

/dev/sda
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdc

In reading the book, it said to set aside a partition for LFS. I did, it was the 2nd partition of sdc, sdc2

So as one of my last steps I set up grub, but it was installed on sdc2.
I then realized it was the new grub, or grub2. I tried to modify my existing grub, the old grub, to add a new entry. I was able to select the new entry, but not boot.

So here is my question. If I move the external drive inside and make it the first drive, will I be able to boot, even though LFS is on the 2nd partiton? I don't want to, but I could move everyting over to the first partition, but I'd have to wipe it out, which I don't want to do.

I thought as I was going through the book, this would be a problem since I never encountered a warning that it had to be on the first partition.