Setting up /etc/fstab

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 16:59:16 PST 2010

On 11/02/10 00:19, brown wrap wrote:
>   But once I boot to the kernel I built for LFS, won't LVM be out of the picture? I went into gparted and I think I found the device that is swap,
> I think its /dev/sda2 and my '/' partition should be /dev/sdc2.
>
> I was hoping to keep my Centos system and have the option of booting to LFS.
> Is that possible?

The only way to know is to try it. For what it's worth, it's not
essential for /etc/fstab to be perfect to boot. The kernel mounts
whatever partition grub tells it to mount. If that conflicts with
whatever is in fstab then the kernel ignores fstab. You don't need a
swap partition to boot. You don't even need an fstab. It'll be ugly,
some of the bootscripts will fail, but there's no reason why it won't
boot to a command prompt and let you log in.

Andy