ifconfig.eth0/ipv4 or ifcfg-eth0 why the difference

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 21:47:55 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:31 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> stosss wrote:

>>> OK, lets start from the beginning.  You have to make sure the correct
>>> driver is installed for the hardware (virtual or real).
>>>
>>> What is the result from
>>>
>>>   dmesg|grep eth0
>>
>> [    0.858510] eth0: registered as PCnet/FAST III 79C973
>> [    5.080020] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
>> [  15.871058] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
>
> Excellent.
>
> Now we need to set up eth0.
>
> First determine what the router's local domain is.
>
>  From the *router* do either
>
>   /sbin/ifconfig eth0
> or
>   /sbin/ip addr list
>
> It may be set in the virtual server too.  I haven't used VirtualBox.
>
> On the client, do
>
>   ip addr add <lfs system ip address> dev eth0
>   ip link set eth0 up
>
> Then ping your router using the ip address, not a name.
>
> Let me know your results.

Not needed. I just learned about bridged. It puts my VM on the same
network as my real machines. I know the information on that network
already. I just edited the necessary network config files on the VM
and I got connected and can ping any ip address or domain name I want.
Now I just need to put some packages like wget in a cd image and
attach it to the CD drive in the VM and pull them into the VM so I can
compile and start building with the BLFS book.