ifconfig.eth0/ipv4 or ifcfg-eth0 why the difference

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 21:31:27 PST 2010

stosss wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> stosss wrote:
>>
>>> When I built LFS on a real machine connected to a real router and not
>>> in a virtual environment I did not have any problem establishing a
>>> network connection. I know what my current problem is. I just can't
>>> figure out how to get the necessary information I need so I can fix
>>> the problem.
>> OK, lets start from the beginning.  You have to make sure the correct
>> driver is installed for the hardware (virtual or real).
>>
>> What is the result from
>>
>>   dmesg|grep eth0
>
> [    0.858510] eth0: registered as PCnet/FAST III 79C973
> [    5.080020] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
> [  15.871058] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

Excellent.

Now we need to set up eth0.

First determine what the router's local domain is.

 From the *router* do either

   /sbin/ifconfig eth0
or
   /sbin/ip addr list

It may be set in the virtual server too.  I haven't used VirtualBox.

On the client, do

   ip addr add <lfs system ip address> dev eth0
   ip link set eth0 up

Then ping your router using the ip address, not a name.

Let me know your results.