ifconfig.eth0/ipv4 or ifcfg-eth0 why the difference

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 10:23:30 PST 2010

> YES!!! (fist pump in the air) I have connectivity!

A little early to get excited. I have eth0 and it loads and the kernel
is happy no errors no warnings. Still no connectivity.

my ifconfig.eth0/ipv4 look like this:

ONBOOT=yes
SERVICE=ipv4-static
IP=10.0.2.15
GATEWAY=10.0.2.0
PREFIX=8
BROADCAST=10.0.2.255

I did a test by launching the LFS LiveCD iso image in another VM to
see how it configured itself.

ONBOOT=yes
SERVICE=ipv4-static
IP=10.0.2.15
GATEWAY=10.0.2.0
PREFIX=24
BROADCAST=10.0.2.255

This is also the same for all my other VMs. VirtualBox sets all VMs to
this private network and each one is completely separate from the
others. If I set PREFIX=24 in my LFS build the kernel complains with
FAIL. On most of my real machines and VMs I can run route -n and see
the details for the gateway. I can't do that with my build LFS but I
can do that with the LFS LiveCD. Which package needs to be installed
so the route command is available? Or, do I already have another way
to see the gateway details? This is still only a completed LFS build
as it is found at the end of chapter 9. I have done nothing else with
it since I don't have connectivity yet.