ifconfig.eth0/ipv4 or ifcfg-eth0 why the difference

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 22:56:19 PST 2010

>> asking because I have been googling trying to find a solution to my
>> other thread about networks in VirtualBox. I was searching because I
>> was comparing my other VMs to see if I could figure out how they got
>> set up right and what exactly was in the config files for those distro
>> VMs.
>
> You must not have the right driver for the VM's ethernet card.  You
> should get a response to:
>
> dmesg | grep eth0

Get nothing, but that is what I expected to get. I knew the driver or
something wasn't there. The last entry on the screen before the login
prompt was the attempt to launch the NIC. The screen then showed the
warning that eth0 did not exist.

dmesg | grep eth0 on the VMs that work shows:

eth0: registered as PCnet/FAST III 79C973
eth0: link up, 100 Mbs, full-duplex

When looking at the VM settings for the VMs the network adapter is set
to NAT and the adapter type is:

PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)

so the VMs are seeing the same thing that was set.

Doing a Gogle search revealed that this is some how related to AMD.

I decided to re-configure and re-compile my kernel, making sure AMD
(my hardware is Intel, I left all AMD support out of the LFS system I
built on the real machine and it ran fine without AMD support complied
in) support was compiled in. I added some more network things that I
thought might fix it, but no joy. The new kernel boots right up. The
system works, I just don't have a network connection, Yet. Presently
the only way I can copy files to the LFS VM is through the CD drive or
a CD image file.

> Try an lsmod on one of your other VMs to see what driver it is using.

$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
fuse                   48956  1
af_packet              16192  2
wmi                     6568  0
video                  16560  0
output                  3104  1 video
rfcomm                 32720  0
hidp                   13312  2
sbs                    11208  0
hid                    33028  1 hidp
l2cap                  19424  8 rfcomm,hidp
bluetooth              51812  3 rfcomm,hidp,l2cap
sbshc                   5280  1 sbs
vboxvfs                44672  0
fan                     4260  0
container               3488  0
battery                10308  0
binfmt_misc             8488  1
loop                   14188  0
dm_mirror              17216  0
dm_log                  9604  1 dm_mirror
dm_mod                 49668  2 dm_mirror,dm_log
sdhci                  14788  0
intel_agp              24676  0
nvram                   7788  0
amd64_agp               9540  0
agpgart                31560  2 intel_agp,amd64_agp
mmc_block               9796  0
mmc_core               43420  2 sdhci,mmc_block
8250_pci               23776  0
ohci1394               29360  0
ieee1394               84728  1 ohci1394
bttv                  160404  0
videodev               30240  1 bttv
v4l1_compat            14404  1 videodev
firmware_class          7296  1 bttv
ir_common              40196  1 bttv
compat_ioctl32          1344  1 bttv
i2c_algo_bit            6020  1 bttv
v4l2_common            11392  1 bttv
videobuf_dma_sg        11812  1 bttv
videobuf_core          17284  2 bttv,videobuf_dma_sg
btcx_risc               4648  1 bttv
tveeprom               12260  1 bttv
floppy                 52356  0
yenta_socket           22956  0
rsrc_nonstatic         11616  1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core            35764  2 yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
ppdev                   7332  0
snd_intel8x0           29852  1
snd_ac97_codec         99716  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus                1632  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq_dummy           2756  0
snd_seq_oss            27456  0
snd_seq_midi_event      6912  1 snd_seq_oss
parport_pc             25092  0
parport                33964  2 ppdev,parport_pc
snd_seq                48496  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          7180  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            36032  0
snd_pcm                72004  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              19944  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          13952  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd                    53284  12
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
i2c_piix4               7952  0
i2c_core               22196  5 bttv,i2c_algo_bit,v4l2_common,tveeprom,i2c_piix4
vboxadd                74656  7 vboxvfs
soundcore               7072  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          8552  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
pcnet32                31204  0
ide_cd_mod             22820  0
cdrom                  34560  1 ide_cd_mod
ac                      4292  0
thermal                15260  0
processor              32544  1 thermal
button                  6224  0
evdev                   9056  3
ata_generic             4900  0
pata_acpi               4192  0
ahci                   25224  0
ata_piix               16420  0
libata                159040  4 ata_generic,pata_acpi,ahci,ata_piix
sd_mod                 25752  0
scsi_mod              141228  2 libata,sd_mod
ext3                  120552  1
jbd                    41940  1 ext3
uhci_hcd               21260  0
ohci_hcd               20996  0
ehci_hcd               32492  0
usbcore               129328  4 uhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd