Problem with the greek fonts after returning back from X to the linux console

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 8 15:05:48 PST 2010

On 8 February 2010 17:33, nick hope <nksgru at gmail.com> wrote:

> and this is the setup:
>
> # Begin /etc/sysconfig/console
>
> UNICODE=1
> KEYMAP="gr"
> BROKEN_KOMPOSE=0
> KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro"
> LEGACY_CHARSET="iso.8859-7"
> FONT="iso07u-16 -m 8859-7"

 But using a legacy font, if I read this right.

> # End /etc/sysconfig/console
>
> I also have this warning when i come out of X:
>
> The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>> Warning:          Symbol map for key <KPDL> redefined
>>                   Using last definition for conflicting fields
> Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
>
> I do not know if this has to do with the problem,but
> in case...
>

> What i get is render characters and not inverse "?"
>
> "ευχαριστώ ξανά!!!" in english "Thanks again!!!"
>
> -Nikos

So, when you boot, the legacy font is working fine,
but after you come out of X, it no longer works.

1. Before xorg gets started, can you use multiple
sessions with greek displaying correctly ?

2. While X is running, can you drop back to a
NEW console, and if so does that still work ?
 (Ctrl-Alt-F2 .. F6, assuming you started X from F1
And then Ctrl-Alt-F7 to go back to X.

3. After you come out of X, can you try repeating
the /etc/rc.d/init.d console script ?  Not sure if
that will help, or if it will trash things completely.

Perhaps, too, you could try starting multiple
console sessions before you start X, then go
back to whichever of them you didn't use for X,
and see if that still works ?

May somebody who uses a legacy font  in a
non latin1 and non-latin15 locale can make
other suggestions.  Anyone, please ?

By the way, which version of LFS are you using,
and which version of X ?

Does it help if you try a non-legacy font (i.e.
my own sigma-consolefonts -
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/fonts/sigma-consolefonts/
: either sigma-general or sigma-cyrillic) ?
I'm not suggesting they are as pretty as the
legacy fonts, and they don't support bold
colours, but maybe they are adequate.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"