SATA support in Linux kernel's menuconfig

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 09:14:37 PST 2010

On 08/02/10 15:04, Ken Moffat wrote:
>   Supposedly, only power macs (i.e. 32-bit ppc) are not supported
> by libata, everything else ought to work (but, perhaps not any i586
> or older machines).  As with anything in the kernel, the technically
> correct answer is painful (post on lkml, be prepared to test and
> perhaps bisect).
>
>   I admit that one of my desktops still uses old IDE - haven't got
> around to changing it - and I noticed recently that I was able to
> burn an audio CD on it using cdrdao, but on the machine using
> libata it failed to open the device (dev/sg, I think).  But that's
> another story and I haven't bothered to investigate further.

Indeed. I was wrong. They do work with libata. They were older machines
that were working fine so I avoided the headache of altering their
kernel configs. My first couple of attempts at getting libata to work
ended with kernel panics. Not because of the kernel config, but because
I forgot to change the grub boot line to /dev/sda (DOH!).
So yeah, libata works fine. Sorry for the noise. Libata works better
with udev. I don't need custom udev rules for each machine, the default
udev rules creates the cdrom symlink pointing at /dev/sr0 which is owned
by group cdrom.

Andy