SATA support in Linux kernel's menuconfig

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 8 07:04:17 PST 2010

On 8 February 2010 11:09, Andrew Benton <b3nton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well you must know something I don't. I have 3 computers that will not
> boot if I don't use CONFIG_IDE=y
> Of course, I use libata on the computers that can use it. But in my
> experience it's not true that libata supports all IDE hardware.
>
> Andy
> --
 Supposedly, only power macs (i.e. 32-bit ppc) are not supported
by libata, everything else ought to work (but, perhaps not any i586
or older machines).  As with anything in the kernel, the technically
correct answer is painful (post on lkml, be prepared to test and
perhaps bisect).

 I admit that one of my desktops still uses old IDE - haven't got
around to changing it - and I noticed recently that I was able to
burn an audio CD on it using cdrdao, but on the machine using
libata it failed to open the device (dev/sg, I think).  But that's
another story and I haven't bothered to investigate further.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"