Network problem kind of similar to another poster

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 23:00:59 PST 2010

I built LFS 6.5 using the LFS 6.5 book and files using LFS 6.3 LiveCD
r2160 image as the host in a VM running on VirtualBox. From the
beginning of the 2nd chapter to the end of the 9th chapter everything
went fine. The new LFS 6.5 booted 1st time. But, it said that eth0
does not exist. I ran ip addr and it does not, but sit0 does exist.

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
         valid_lft forever perferred_lft forever
2: sit0: <NOARP> mtu 1480 qdisc noop state DOWN
    link/sit 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0

I followed the book exactly without deviating from it. The network
configuration is for eth0. eth0 should be there. I don't know where
this sit0 came from.

Does any one have any idea how to set up a network inside VirtualBox?

I checked my distros running as VMs and they have eth0 so I know sit0
is wrong. I set the config files by the book for eth0. Looking at the
information in the config on the distro VMs did not reveal how they
got set up right. Two of the VMs are the same OS as the host for
VirtualBox but the other three are other distros.