Problem with the greek fonts after returning back from X to the linux console

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 7 16:19:42 PST 2010

On 7 February 2010 18:40, nick hope <nksgru at gmail.com> wrote:
> When i login my greeks work perfect,with startx also work perfect,when i`m using
> [ctrl+alt+backspace] to return to console my greeks looks like chinese!!!
>
> Does anyone knows what kind of problem is and how can i fix it?

 No idea, but since I have greek working in both console
and xorg (with a gtk-using wm, in my case icewm) and
using UTF-8, maybe I can prompt you to give more
details so that either you or someone else can fix it.

 First, what locale are you using ?  Also, how
did you set up your console ? Greek tends to NOT
work for me in the console, unless I use my own
[ UTF-8 ] font (sigma-consolefonts).  Of course,
if you are using a legacy encoding, that comment will
be irrelevant.

 You say that in this locale, greek works on the
console when you login, and again in xorg, but
stops working when you come out of X ?  That
seems "odd".  Also, I guess "chinese" is a euphemism
for "gibberish" (because, the console can only
handle alphabetic languages) - do you get rendered
characters (i.e. the system is using a different
codepage, probably a different variant of ASCII) , or
do you get inverse '?' (the UTF-8 symbol for
"I can't render this") ?

 This might, perhaps, be a BLFS issue but for the
moment we might as well discuss it here.

ευχαριστώ ("thanks", according to translate.google)

ĸen [ and no, that isn't a greek κ, it merely looks
like one! ]
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"