gcc-4.1.2 pass 2 - help?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 10:36:44 PST 2010

Kyle Rush wrote:
> hi everyone. I am a total newbie to Linux (of any kind, not just LFS) and
> took this on in order to learn about Linux and computers in general.
> The book I am using is version 6.3 .
> I am currently doing gcc-4.1.2 pass 2 and due to problems during the
> patching process I created two other directories containing separate
> installations of gcc.
> now that I am moving on, I want to remove said directories because, having
> similar names, they are mucking up the second compile processes. I have
> tried rmdir, rmdir -v, rmdir -v --ignore-non-empty-errors (I think that's
> right) and every other combination. It says they have been removed but the
> directories remain. I have tried the same commands as root, and gotten the
> same result. please help.

First, there are better places to start then LFS for 'a total newbie to
Linux'.  I'd suggest one of the many HOWTO or Getting Started guides on
the internet.

The problem you have is that the directories are not empty.  You need
   rm -r name

you may need -rf.  Use the man page for rm.  On the other hand, if you
are using the CD, you can't rm a file from read only media.

Second, 6.3 is quite old and unmaintained.  You can use the 6.3 live CD
as a way to boot a system, but use at least the 6.5 book and packages.