Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS:

Aditya Bankar adityabankar at yahoo.co.in
Sun Feb 7 03:48:26 PST 2010

Hi,

I am getting this problem while launching the new LFS 6.5:

Root NFS: No NFS server available, giving up
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS trying floppy
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda6" on unknown_block (2,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot options; here the options
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown_block (2,0)

I did not install grub. I have instead added new entries in the host system's menu.lst. Since my LFS partition is /dev/sda6 as seen on host system I have added the following to menu.lst
title           LFS6.5
root            (hd0,5)
kernel          /boot/lfskernel-2.6.30.2 root=/dev/sda6

A result of grep on my .config file is the following:
grep NFS /mnt/lfs/compilation/linux-2.6.30.2/.config
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL=y
CONFIG_NFS_V4=y