Finished First Pass

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 2 21:11:54 PST 2010

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> Since 32/64 bit
>> capable machines can't do that without horrible kludges
>> (like the 286 32 bit capable code which rebooted to execute
>> the BIOS calls, then rebooted back to 32 bit mode), you
>> need cross development tools.
>
> Almost.  That's a reset (of the CPU) not a reboot.  And it only needed
> to reset when going from 32-bit mode to 16-bit mode, but not the other way.

Ummm, that's a rather fine point. To me, starting from a reset
_is_ a boot. It didn't require a reload of the OS, certainly.
The 286 was lacking an instruction to go "back", though it
did have one to go "forward", which was the problem. It also
had inadequate protection between access permissions.

> But you are right about the essence.  It *was* a kludge.

I think everyone agreed with that, even at the time.
The 286 was the machine which never should have been. The 386
was the natural successor to the 8086.

But we digress.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.