Finished First Pass

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:17:34 PST 2010

brown wrap wrote:
> I guess its still not quite clear to me why we take two passes on
> various pieces of software to complete the install. Another question
> I have, i thought I read somewhere that 7.0 is meant for 64 bit
> release. I'm installing on a 64 bit machine and things seem to be
> going, though I have ran into a few problems. I have a 32 bit
> machine, but this one os so much faster.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter01/how.html

"Chapter 5  packages are built using this second pass toolchain. When
this is done, the LFS installation process will no longer depend on the
host distribution, with the exception of the running kernel."

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/prologue/architecture.html

"the instructions in this book are known to work, with some
modifications, with both Power PC and 64-bit AMD/Intel CPUs. To build a
system that utilizes one of these CPUs, the main prerequisite, in
addition to those on the next few pages, is an existing Linux system
such as an earlier LFS installation, Ubuntu, Red Hat/Fedora, SuSE, or
other distribution that targets the architecture that you have."