Finished First Pass

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 2 16:13:37 PST 2010

brown wrap wrote:
> I guess its still not quite clear to me why we take two passes on
> various pieces of software to complete the install. Another question

The book has a fairly good explanation. The first pass produces
the cross tools, used to build the target distribution tools
from within the host distribution. The second pass uses the
cross development tools to build the native ones. It's perhaps
not quite so clear when the host and target are very similar,
but when they are different, then it's easy to see. For example,
suppose you wanted to use an Intel machine to build for the PPC.
We wouldn't be having this discussion, because it would be obvious
that the Intel tools wouldn't run on the target.

The fact that the target and the host may be physically the same
machine does not obviate the fact that, when the machine is booted
under LFS, the environment is _not_ the same as it is with the
host.

I don't think you'd be very satisfied if you used, say RHEL,
and downloaded the source they claimed was that of the compiler
they used to build, and when you built it using the copy you
have on your machine, the results were different.

Doing a two pass build is the only way to ensure that what gets
built when you boot under LFS is the same as what you have _as_
LFS.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.