userspace cannot call function or variable defined in the kernel

Samo Zgonik samo.zgonik at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 09:12:07 PST 2010

I'm following the LFS book ver. 6.5.

According to chapter 5.6.1. Installation of Linux API Headers I ran the
command 'make headers_check', but it reported 2 errors while executing it:

*/mnt/lfs/sources/linux-2.6.32.7/usr/include/scsi/scsi.h:162: userspace
cannot call function or variable defined in the kernel
/mnt/lfs/sources/linux-2.6.32.7/usr/include/scsi/scsi.h:288: userspace
cannot call function or variable defined in the kernel*

As you see I used the latest version of kernel.

Somewhere I also found a webpage that suggested a patch by adding two parts
of the code in scsi.h file into if statements, that were supposed to fix
this error, but it didn't fix it. It just changed the lines of errors to 163
and 293, obviuosly because adding the two if statements added some extra
lines to the scsi.h file.

I also tried with the version 2.6.32.6, but got the same error and with the
version 2.6.30.2 (the one used in the book) where I got some different
errrors:

*scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function 'traps':
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:377: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
break strict-aliasing rules
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:379: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
break strict-aliasing rules

/mnt/lfs/sources/linux-2.6.30.2/usr/include/mtd/jffs2-user.h:21: extern's
make no sense in userspace

*Why do the errors occur and how to fix them? Or can I just ignore them? I
just want to be sure not to mess things up, before I continue with the LFS.

The hardware I use:
SuperMicro motherboard with Intel 5500 Chipset
Intel Xeon E5506 processor
6GB of RAM
2x 1TB SATA hard drives on Intel ICH10 RAID1 (Adaptec mode)
*
* Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.