Two problems with first boot

Gerald Sherette gsherette at satx.rr.com
Fri Oct 26 21:28:32 PDT 2007

   First I want thank everyone involved with LFS/BLFS  for their hard work.
These projects are excellent.

    I just finished building LFS 6.3 using the LiveCD x86-63-r2052 as host.  I
cut and pasted the instructions on from the LFS book on the CD. Everything
seemed to go smoothly until I booted into my new LFS.

 1)   The first thing I noticed was that "Setting up the Linux console " gave
a red FAIL instead of a green OK.

  2)   Second,  instead of ending with the expected
 Host login:
     (where Host is the name of my machine)
    I get
 Host login: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4  <sda5>
 sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

    Pressing return, gave the "Host login: " prompt on the next line. I was
then able to login normally and everything seemed to work. (This box does
have an external USB hard drive plugged in.  Of course unplugging it gets rid
of the extra lines but one of my main objectives in doing this build was to
learn enough to eventually build and boot from an external drive.)

1)   In investigating  the "Setting up Linux console" problem,  the line

loadkeys ${KEYMAP} >/dev/null 2>&1

   in the bootscript init.d/console appeared to give the FAIL.
   I replaced it with

#loadkeys ${KEYMAP} >/dev/null 2>&1
loadkeys -d >/dev/null 2>&1

  to get the default for ${KEYMAP}. Its prior value was "en".
  I now get OK as the result but haven't a clue about what I did wrong.

2)   As to the late arriving USB/SCSI messages,  I have tried various kernel
configurations and boot options with no luck.  The CONFIG_SCSI_SCAN_ASYNC
and CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN sound revelant and though they change timing of
message arrival, the messages still show up after the first Host login:
Any suggestions of something to try would be greatly appreciated.

Please help while I still have some hair left.

                                  Jerry