No ttys, no login shell

Marius Meinert mariusmeinert at monroebrothers.org
Thu Oct 25 04:05:30 PDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 7:04 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 12:41:39PM +0200, Marius Meinert wrote:
>> Hi,
>> after building my first LFS system as described in the book I have a
>> problem with the boot process. It doesn't start a shell. The last
>> messages are:
>> INIT: version 2.86 booting
>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc: line:97: /dev/null: No such device or address
> That is a significant error.  You don't say which version of the
> book you are using, so I'll assume 6.3.  Go back to section 6.55.1
> and make sure you created all the things for /lib/udev/devices (and
> that you installed udev-config).
>
> If you are using an earlier book, the correct fix may be different.
> I think we used to create /mnt/lfs/dev/null as a node before
> populating /dev for chroot (so, if you are doing that, ensure
> nothing is mounted on /mnt/lfs/dev when you create the missing
> node(s) there).
>
> Possibly, there might be a further problem - it isn't immediately
> clear why init is respawning too fast (i.e. dieing immediately each
> time it is invoked).  I guess it is likely that /dev doesn't exist
> (otherwise /dev/null could have been created as a regular file), so
> you might need to check everything to do with udev in the book.
>
> Alternatively, people have seen that with invalid instructions in
> the code (e.g. compiled on a i686 and used on i586 or earlier, or
> compiled on an early via C3 processor with older compilers that
> thought it was a pukka i686 and used an instruction it doesn't
> have).

I'm using version 6.3. I*ve gone throug the whole udev-chapter, but
the error stil exists. I also checked /dev, it exists and even /de/v/
null but only /dev/null and /dev/console, the 2 nods created in
chapter 6.2.1, but I looked in /dev/ with a LiveCD, so there can't be
anything more in /dev/.
The Compiler can't be the problem, i ran it on a i686 for i686.