No ttys, no login shell

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 24 10:04:28 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 12:41:39PM +0200, Marius Meinert wrote:
> Hi,
> after building my first LFS system as described in the book I have a
> problem with the boot process. It doesn't start a shell. The last
> messages are:
> INIT: version 2.86 booting
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc: line:97: /dev/null: No such device or address
 That is a significant error.  You don't say which version of the
book you are using, so I'll assume 6.3.  Go back to section 6.55.1
and make sure you created all the things for /lib/udev/devices (and
that you installed udev-config).

 If you are using an earlier book, the correct fix may be different.
I think we used to create /mnt/lfs/dev/null as a node before
populating /dev for chroot (so, if you are doing that, ensure
nothing is mounted on /mnt/lfs/dev when you create the missing
node(s) there).

 Possibly, there might be a further problem - it isn't immediately
clear why init is respawning too fast (i.e. dieing immediately each
time it is invoked).  I guess it is likely that /dev doesn't exist
(otherwise /dev/null could have been created as a regular file), so
you might need to check everything to do with udev in the book.

 Alternatively, people have seen that with invalid instructions in
the code (e.g. compiled on a i686 and used on i586 or earlier, or
compiled on an early via C3 processor with older compilers that
thought it was a pukka i686 and used an instruction it doesn't
have).

ĸen