No ttys, no login shell

Marius Meinert mariusmeinert at monroebrothers.org
Wed Oct 24 03:41:39 PDT 2007

Hi,
after building my first LFS system as described in the book I have a
problem with the boot process. It doesn't start a shell. The last
messages are:
INIT: version 2.86 booting
/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc: line:97: /dev/null: No such device or address
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc: line:97: /dev/null: No such device or address
INIT: ld "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
There was the same problem on this mailinglist in 2002, but it wasnt
solved. The problem seems to be, that there are no ttys (ld 1-6 are
the ttys), but I don't know, how to fix this.