less and passwd commands do not work correctly

blfs at comcast.net blfs at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 16:54:14 PDT 2007

I have been doing the CLFS stable book with an AMD 64 ATHLON.  I got to the shadow chapter and the passwd command would not allow user interaction.  I then ran man passwd and found that the man
comand did not work either.

I narrowed the man problem down to the less command since nroff worked on man pages.  ALso the
command

# less --help | more

will work.

the command

#less --help

will beep and exit.  Apparently output is being sent somewhere.  This is when I use xterm in a Debian
Gnome terminal.

If I use a standard linux terminal, a screenful of text displays and then beep and exit.