Chapter 6 Glibc Make error

Bauke Jan Douma bjdouma at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 14 15:30:49 PDT 2007

Matthew Sewell wrote on 14-10-07 21:54:
> Please forgive me if this has already been discussed:
>

> I just had an error attempting to build Glibs as per chapter 6.
>
> -----------------------------
> no gen-translit.pl < C-translit.h.in > C-translit.h.tmp
> /bin/sh: line 1: no: command not found
> make[2]: *** [C-translit.h] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/libc/locale'
> make[1]: *** [locale/subdir_lib] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/libc'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> -------------------------------
>
> I worked around the problem by modifying the Makefile to point  gen-
> translit.pl to /usr/bin/perl.  It had been pointed at $(PERL).
>

> *Have I missed something crucial in previous instructions or is this
> a bug?
>
> *Will this workaround cause other problems down the line?
>
> Thanks
>
> --matthew

My glibc make.res log file has:
/usr/bin/perl gen-translit.pl < C-translit.h.in > C-translit.h.tmp

In glibc's configure you'll find this:
test -z "$ac_cv_path_PERL" && ac_cv_path_PERL="no"

Apparently it can't find the perl binary.  Did you configure
glibc with some (incorrect) --with-perl=... parameter, or have
an env. value PERL set (wrongly)?

bjd