Chapter 6 Glibc Make error

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 14 15:10:55 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 12:54:14PM -0700, Matthew Sewell wrote:
> Please forgive me if this has already been discussed:
>

> I just had an error attempting to build Glibs as per chapter 6.
>
> -----------------------------
> no gen-translit.pl < C-translit.h.in > C-translit.h.tmp
> /bin/sh: line 1: no: command not found
> make[2]: *** [C-translit.h] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/libc/locale'
> make[1]: *** [locale/subdir_lib] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/libc'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> -------------------------------
>
> I worked around the problem by modifying the Makefile to point  gen-
> translit.pl to /usr/bin/perl.  It had been pointed at $(PERL).
>

> *Have I missed something crucial in previous instructions or is this
> a bug?
 Possibly, your perl got misinstalled.  I haven't seen examples
recently, but I've done it in the past when my scripts hardcoded the
version and then the version got upgraded (the copy of lib/* to
/tools/lib/perl5/5.8.8).

 If you still have the output of configure, maybe worth taking a
look from outside chroot (with a better set of available tools, e.g.
less and vim) to see _why_ perl seems to not be working.

> *Will this workaround cause other problems down the line?

 The workaround itself shouldn't be a problem, but I think some of
the perl modules that the book installs in chapter 5 might be for
use by testsuites in later packages.  Dunno.  Mostly, a missing or
mis-installed perl gets trapped in glibc.  Getting beyond that with a
partially working temporary perl is new.

 Wild thought - maybe you missed the symlink from /tools/bin/perl in
"Creating Essential Files and Symlinks" ?

ĸen