Chapter 6 Glibc Make error

Matthew Sewell matthewsewell at ojai.net
Sun Oct 14 12:54:14 PDT 2007

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed:

I just had an error attempting to build Glibs as per chapter 6.

-----------------------------
no gen-translit.pl < C-translit.h.in > C-translit.h.tmp
/bin/sh: line 1: no: command not found
make[2]: *** [C-translit.h] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/libc/locale'
make[1]: *** [locale/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/libc'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I worked around the problem by modifying the Makefile to point  gen-
translit.pl to /usr/bin/perl.  It had been pointed at $(PERL).

*Have I missed something crucial in previous instructions or is this
a bug?

*Will this workaround cause other problems down the line?

Thanks

--matthew