System.map not found..... I think

paul.rogers at juno.com paul.rogers at juno.com
Tue Oct 9 10:12:59 PDT 2007

>>> Oct 6 16:56:13 lbc1211 kernel: Cannot find map file.
>>> Oct 6 16:56:13 lbc1211 kernel: No module symbols loaded - kernel
>modules not enabled.
>>>
>>> Does this refer to /boot/System.map-2.6.22.9?
>>No. You don't need the System.map file. You don't seem to have kernel
>>modules enabled. Enable loadable module support->Enable loadable
>>module support.
>>That should fix it!

>From my .config file:

>#
># Loadable module support
>#
>CONFIG_MODULES=y
>CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
># CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set
># CONFIG_MODULE_SRCVERSION_ALL is not set
>CONFIG_KMOD=y

>I think that means I have modules enabled but I will follow your >directions and redo make menuconfig to be sure.

>Thanks,
>Walter

Walter, after you compile the kernel and copy the new one to /boot, you also should copy the System.map file too.  Here's a kern-build script I use on this old LFS-4.1 2.4.x system, 2.6.x is a little different.

#!/bin/bash -e
echo "Backing-up kernel modules" ; cd /lib ; tar czpf modules.tgz modules/
echo "Changing to linux source directory" ; cd /usr/src/linux
echo "Check/update kernel configuration" ; make menuconfig
echo "Change your mind?"
read ans
if [ $ans = "y" -o $ans = "Y" ]; then exit 0; fi
echo "Rechecking dependencies" ; make dep >log.dep 2>&1
echo "Cleaning source tree" ; make clean >log.clean 2>&1
echo "Compiling kernel" ; make bzImage >log.bzImage 2>&1
echo "Compiling modules" ; make modules >log.modules 2>&1
echo "Installing modules" ; make modules_install >log.modules_install 2>&1
echo "Copying kernel image" ; cp -v arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/test
A=`cat .version`
echo "Copying system map" ; cp -v System.map /boot/System.map-$A
echo "Copying kernel config" ; cp -v .config /boot/config-$A
echo "OK, check logs.  New kernel is in /boot/test."

After I check out the test kernel and approve, then I change a symlink for System.map, & rename "test".

Paul Rogers  (paul.rogers at juno.com)
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/