CPU freq scaling

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 8 06:18:53 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 05:52:12PM -0700, Walter Barnes wrote:
> From: Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org>
>
> >Unfortunately, /sys seems to be forever changing - what worked 2
> >releases ago might have been renamed by now, so if it _isn't_
> >working, try using the different path to ignore_nice_load and see if
> >that helps.  ISTR that the logic was reversed at some point, so it
> >might not be necessary.
>
> Ok, I'll use the new path; however, I'm not up on all the acronyms used in mailing lists so I don't know what ISTR means.

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ISTR (only the first two
definitions, for any list I've ever been on).

 So, you have tested that it isn't working correctly for you ?  My
own bootscript has a comment that ignore_nice was for 2.6.12
possibly through to 2.6.15 (in other words, definitely not required
for 2.6.16).  For me  (on an amd x86_64) ondemand works - if I untar
the gcc sources and check /proc/cpuinfo from another term, the speed
jumps from 1000 MHz to 2000, stays there, briefly falls back to
1800 after untarring finishes, then drops to 1000 again shortly
afterwards.

> >Wild guess - the Knoppix kernel is quite a bit older than the LFS
> >kernel ?
>
> I should have mentioned this in my original post: I'm using Knoppix 5.1.1 released in Jan of this year
> and the kernel is a 2.6 series (might be 2.6.19 but not sure - I'm in Windows right now and can't check)

 I'm guessing that the increased restrictions (limit acpi
frequencies to what the bios returns) were probably in the 2.6.18 to
2.6.20 timeframe.

ĸen