System.map not found..... I think

Walter Barnes walter_barnes05 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 19:58:21 PDT 2007

Hello,

Looking over the logs for my new LFS system I noticed something odd. Right at the very top after klogd is started are these two lines:

Oct 6 16:56:13 lbc1211 kernel: Cannot find map file.
Oct 6 16:56:13 lbc1211 kernel: No module symbols loaded - kernel modules not enabled.

Does this refer to /boot/System.map-2.6.22.9?

I followed the instructions for building/installing the kernel precisely with the only variation being the version of the kernel. If I made a mistake somewhere, where is the most likely place to look?

Also, I have /boot on its own partition. Is there something special I need to do in menu.lst? The kernel line looks like this:

kernel /lfskernel-2.6.22.9 root=/dev/hda6

With the exception of this message, LFS boots up fine.

Thanks,
Walter