CPU freq scaling

Walter Barnes walter_barnes05 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 17:59:50 PDT 2007

Hello,

I've just finished building LFS 6.3 and have started adding a few extras for my laptop (Fujitsu Lifebook, C Series). After reading Ken Moffat's cpufreq hint I've succesfully set up my system to use the conservative freq governor but I have a few questions...

First, I've temporarily commented out the command to set ignore_nice in the boot script as it does not work. In particular, this path does not exist:

/sys/boot/devices/system/cpu0/cpufreq/conservative/ignore_nice

Should it instead be:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/conservative/ignore_nice_load     ?

Also, there are several files under the conservative directory that, from their names, seem to control the freq govenor's behavior. Can someone point me to docs that expain what these files are and how to use them?

Finally, my host system (Knoppix) can underclock my Pentium M (Dothan). The contents of the <cpufreq-path>/scaling_available_frequencies includes 400Mhz and 200Mhz. These are not present when I boot my LFS system (lowest is 600Mhz). Could someone also point me to any docs that expain how to do underclocking?

Thanks,
Walter