Live 6.3 r2032 & ncurses fails - Cannot link with GPM

EJBoshinski mistrz.linux at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 08:45:30 PDT 2007

Greetings,

OK
- I have enough bruises on my forehead now - I've perused the archives,
tried the suggestions, but I still end up with the same result -
ncurses-5.6 fails to build, reporting that it cannot link with GPM (see
below).  I have restarted the build process from the beginning many
times, watching every key stroke, but it always fails.  I now surrender
to the collective wisdom of the list.  Any suggestions on what to try
now?  I have created my own scripts, cut-n-pasted straight from the book to semi-automate the build process
and with LiveCD 6.2.5 I was able to complete the build without any
problems.  I have made the minor adjustments for the 6.3 release.

1.
As root, I set up the partitions, mount the partitions & create the
necessary directories.  I then create the lfs user, group & assign
the permissions.  I then switch to a second tty (Ctrl+Alt+F2),
login as lfs, create the shell environment and go from there.

2. I can build bin-utils, gcc, etc - but not get past Ch 5.13.

3. Either please send a bullet, or better yet suggestions... ;-)

.................... ncurses build log .............

checking for egrep... grep -E
Configuring NCURSES 5.6 ABI 5 (Tue Oct  2 13:27:23 GMT 2007)
Configuring for linux-gnu
checking for prefix... /tools
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o
checking whether we are using the
 GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking version of gcc... 4.1.2
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... yes
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... -DCC_HAS_PROTOS
checking for ldconfig... /sbin/ldconfig
checking if you want to ensure bool is consistent with C++... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... /usr/bin/g++
checking version of g++... 4.1.2
checking if you want to build C++ binding and demo... yes
checking if you want to build with Ada95... no
checking if you want to build programs such as tic... yes
checking if you wish to install curses.h... yes
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking
 for egrep... (cached) grep -E
checking for tdlint... no
checking for lint... no
checking for alint... no
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking if filesystem supports mixed-case filenames... yes
checking for ctags... no
checking for etags... no
checking for makeflags variable...
checking for long file names... yes
checking if filesystem supports mixed-case filenames... (cached) yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ld... ld
checking for ar... ar
checking for archiver options (symbol AR_OPTS)... rv
checking if you have specified an install-prefix...
checking if you want to build libraries with libtool... no
checking if you want to build shared libraries... yes
checking if you want to build static libraries... yes
checking if you want to build debug libraries...
 no
checking if you want to build profiling libraries... no
checking for specified models...  shared normal
checking for default model... shared
checking if you want to build a separate terminfo library... no
checking if you want to link with the GPM mouse library... maybe
checking for gpm.h... yes
checking for Gpm_Open in -lgpm... no
configure: error: Cannot link with GPM library

cheers,

ejb