lfs-support Digest, Vol 1299, Issue 1 [Re: gcc 4.1.2 bootstrap error]

lists lists at jaqui-greenlees.net
Mon Oct 1 05:13:15 PDT 2007

Benedikt Schmitt wrote:
> Am Montag, 1. Oktober 2007 08:00 schrieb
> lfs-support-request at linuxfromscratch.org:
>> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:57:22 -0400
>> From: Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com>
>> Subject: Re: gcc 4.1.2 bootstrap error
>> To: LFS Support List <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
>>
>> Ars?ne Derni?re wrote:
> <snip>
>>> Can someone help me, please?
>> You can't build LFS on a 64-bit system. There is a work-in-progress
>> 64-bit LFS book that comes on the 64-bit livecd, or you can use
>> cross-lfs at http://trac.cross-lfs.org.
> Dear Chris, Dear List,
>
> This looks interesting to me because I have an AMD64 machine but until now I
> only installed LFS on an old Athlon"32" machine (luckily...?).
>
> Could you please tell us more about the reasons why x86 and x86_64 behave that
> differently?
>
> Is x86 the only architecture LFS compiles on successfully (apart from CLFS
> efforts)?

The x86 is the targeted hardware for the LFS book, but I did use an
older version of the livecd that had 64 bit support and the lfs book to
build onto an AMD AM2 system, I used CLFS as hints when I hit an error I
couldn't solve without it. Using the CLFS project only would have made
the build easier, but it can be done if you are willing to put the
effort into it.

Jaqui