lfs-support Digest, Vol 1299, Issue 1 [Re: gcc 4.1.2 bootstrap error]

Benedikt Schmitt BS- at gmx.net
Mon Oct 1 02:43:10 PDT 2007

Am Montag, 1. Oktober 2007 08:00 schrieb
lfs-support-request at linuxfromscratch.org:
> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:57:22 -0400
> From: Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com>
> Subject: Re: gcc 4.1.2 bootstrap error
> To: LFS Support List <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
>
> Ars?ne Derni?re wrote:
<snip>
> > Can someone help me, please?
>
> You can't build LFS on a 64-bit system. There is a work-in-progress
> 64-bit LFS book that comes on the 64-bit livecd, or you can use
> cross-lfs at http://trac.cross-lfs.org.
Dear Chris, Dear List,

This looks interesting to me because I have an AMD64 machine but until now I
only installed LFS on an old Athlon"32" machine (luckily...?).

Could you please tell us more about the reasons why x86 and x86_64 behave that
differently?

Is x86 the only architecture LFS compiles on successfully (apart from CLFS
efforts)?

Regards,
Benedikt