Module problem

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Tue Jun 25 00:06:31 PDT 2002

On Monday 24 June 2002 21:47, Daniel Brewer wrote:
> /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o:
> insmod 8139too failed
>
> I must have mucked up on installing the kernal
> somewhere
> but I have no idea where.
> Additionally modprobe failed to detect the character
> map too!!

Your best bet would be to rebuilt your kernel:
cd /usr/src/linux;
cp .config backup
make mrproper
make menuconfig
<load backup, verify that it generates a working kernel>
make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-<version>
Now add a new kernel entry in your boot manager and reboot. After login,
run depmod -ae. There shouldn't be any errors. If you added the "alias
eth0 8139too" line to /etc/modules.conf, your network should have come
up automagically. If not, try modprobe, or check the output of dmesg.
If you have another module error, try building the driver statically in
the kernel and check the output of dmesg. Or try grabbing the latest
kernel (2.4.19-rc1).
Hope this helps,

--
Groeten/Greetings