Stop at "Starting system log daemon...

Dean Richard Benson dean at vipersoft.co.uk
Tue Jun 18 06:54:49 PDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 09:37:17AM +0800, #ENG YI HAN# wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> 	My LFS-3.3 stopped during startup at "Starting system log daemon...". I've read the mailing list, so far there was only one post on this problem, and the reply cited that **maybe** /var must be mounted before starting up the system log daemon. Well, my LFS-3.3 resides on /dev/hda10, I put all directories within it, includes the /var. Besides that, all directories under /var are owned by root:root. I have no idea of what is wrong. Please help.

I had this same problem once before - and it _might_ not be your
problem, but mine was to do with my machine not bringing up my network
correctly.  It was trying to resolve a hostname somewhere in the startup
scripts (near the starting system log daemon), and couldn't resolve it,
but it waited about 5 minutes while it kept trying.

Does it time out if you leave it for a while? (maybe a long while).

Dean