trying to boot with lilo, getting L 01 01 01 01

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Jun 6 12:02:15 PDT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Dirk Waxweiler wrote:
> hello!
> your right, cyl not sectors ;-)
>
> i'm sorry, but i left some important information out ... (i get older
> every day *g*)
> i have 2 computers, one is an athlon 1600+ xp the other is the k6 266 ...
> the athlon (hoshi) is running slackware 8.0.
> i took the hd out of the k6 (kyle) and put it into hoshi as /dev/hdb.
> i done the hole lfs-book (version 3.3) and booted the lfs up, by using
> the lilo installed on hda.
> aber that i booted up the lfs on hdb created my lilo.conf and installed
> i into the hdb mbr.

Not unless you used the bios= paramater in the /etc/lilo.conf file.

> everyting seems to work.

Yes. It will as long as it is in the machine that built it.

> i pulled hdb out of hoshi, back into kyle, booted and got "L 01 01 01
> 01 01 01 ..."

Now that we know "the rest of the story", this makes perfect sense.

> after that i pulled the disk back into hoshi, changed something and
> pulled it a couple of times.
>
> yesterday i found out my soyo board in hoshi is able to give me an
> bootscreen, where i can select the bootdevice :-)
> so i tryed the it by using this menu to boot and to my suprise the same
> problem occurs!

Yes, that is expected in the scenario you describe.

> now i dont thing that it depends on the cpu, board or bios ...
>
> i also tryed out grub and it worked!
> i was able to boot until "Freeing unused kernel memory: 220k freed" but
> this will be another post ;-)
>
> have a look at the attachments.
> here are some more information.
> i'm sorry, but i've forgotten to take the lilo.conf ...
>
> some more info:
> /dev/hd[ab]1 /
> /dev/hd[ab]6 /usr
> the other partitions are just data or swap ...
>
> MfG Dirk

Search the LFS archives for "John McGinn". He describes exactly what
need to do. Essentially, use the bios= parameter to get the boot
blocks actually on the hdb drive. Then adjust fstab and a couple of
things, pull the drive, install in the other machine and go.

I've not used grub - nothing I can offer there.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org