Problem installing Gawk-3.1.0

Don Smith don_smith at att.net
Tue Jun 4 09:11:29 PDT 2002

> Dave Roscoe wrote:
>
> Ya know, no matter how many times I double check my typing.....
>
> In the second line of the install command (chapter 6):
>
> sed -e '/^datadir/s/awk/gawk/' \
>
> I mistakenly replaced 'datadir' with 'libexecdir'  When I executed the
> command, it failed with the following:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/gawk-3.1.0/awklib'
>
> make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/gawk-3.1.0/awklib'
>
> /bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /usr/bin/gawk
>
> mkdir /usr/bin/gawk
>
> mkdir:  '/usr/bin/gawk' exists but is not a directory
>
> make[2] *** [install-libexecPROGRAMS] Error 1
>
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/gawk-3.1.0/awklib
>
> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error2
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/gawk-3.1.0/awklib'
>
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>
> Why did it say that /usr/bin/gawk already existed?  How can I clean
> this up and try again, with the correct commandline?
>

>   Thanks,
>
>  -Dave

My guess is that you've previously built gawk and the executable is
already in place as /usr/bin/gawk. Linux won't let you create a
directory with the same name as an already existing file. mkdir was
trying to be extra helpful in pointing out that the already existing
file is not a directory,  which is what it was asked to create.

To correct, I would erase /usr/src/gawk-3.1.0 and start the build of
gawk over from extracting the tarball.

Don
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org