[lfs-dev] Creating the Minimal directory layout in LFS filesystem

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 02:05:13 PDT 2020

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 at 20:57, Pierre Labastie via lfs-dev
<lfs-dev at lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> The LFS root directory ($LFS), is supposed to be owned by the root
> user, and to have permissions rwxr-xr-x, so that user lfs cannot create
> anything in it. That's the reason why we create the hierarchy as root
> and chown the dirs to lfs later.
>
> I think Kevin has $LFS owned by lfs (or different permissions), which
> is of course ok, provided ownership or permissions are changed at the
> end.
>
> Right now, this is not what is done in the book.

Just realised I had not replied to say, yes, I did have the LFS root
directory ($LFS) owned by the lfs user.

Given that everything will get chown-ed back to root anyway, I'm
still not clear what a "limited" set of top-level directories gives
us over creating the full required hierarchy once, nor what the
lfs user might do, right below $LFS, that the later chown/chmod-s
wouldn't fix up.

Kevin