[lfs-dev] Expected package changes for LFS-10.0 ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 28 13:53:36 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:43:44PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
> On 7/27/20 10:35 PM, Xi Ruoyao via lfs-dev wrote:
> > > >
> > > Cheers.  I'm on check-0.15.0 at the moment (haven't looked at any
> > > LFS testsuite results yet).  Binutils is the sort of thing which
> > > might cause occasional breakage, util-linux less so in terms of
> > > building and testing packages (but potentially more so in terms of
> > > being able to run commands I usually run, of course).
> >
> > Glibc-2.32 will be released on Aug 1st.  I suggest to wait for it since anyway
> > we'll have to rebuild everything for it.
> >

> That's my plan.
>
>   -- Bruce

I'll now mention that a new release of autoconf is being prepared.
2.69b (i.e. beta) came out a few days ago.  Looking at gnu git,
there have been a few more fixes since then.

I've now found the release announcement at:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2020-07/msg00006.html

Quoting Zack Weinberg:

| We are pleased to announce beta release 2.69b of GNU Autoconf.
|
| This release includes eight years of development work since the
| previous release, 2.69.  See below for the detailed list of changes
| since the previous version, as summarized by the NEWS file.
|
| Because it has been such a long time, and because some of the changes
| potentially break existing Autoconf scripts, we are conducting a
| public beta test before the final release of version 2.70.  Please
| test this beta with your autoconf scripts, and report any problems you
| find to the Savannah bug tracker:
|
|    https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=additem&group=autoconf
|
| Please also send general comments and feedback to <autoconf at gnu.org>.
|
| Please also spread this announcement widely, so that as many Autoconf
| users as possible hear about it.
|
| The final release of Autoconf 2.70 is tentatively scheduled for three
| months from now.  We may make more beta releases during this period.

I'm running a system using what's in the book as of Saturday (now in
BLFS, I've got as far as firefox), and still checking my logs re the
test results.  Got to autoconf, saw the breakage, and then
remembered that I'd seen a mention of a maintainer.

So, I can't say what will happen in chroot (maybe circular
dependencies), but in my completed system with 2.69b and make -j8
(haswell i7) I got:

## ------------- ##
## Test results. ##
## ------------- ##

479 tests behaved as expected.
44 tests were skipped.

For 2.69 in chroot I had:

ERROR: 450 tests were run,
137 failed (4 expected failures).
53 tests were skipped.

I'm usually reluctant to suggest beta versions for LFS, but perhaps
this might be valid ?  Clearly needs more testing, and it is
_possible_ that it might break something in BLFS.

I don't expect to finish this system for at least a week, probably
longer (will be looking at perl modules and rust), but I'll
certainly try 2.69b in my next build.

ĸen
--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
                          - Hogfather