[lfs-dev] Expected package changes for LFS-10.0 ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 27 19:27:01 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 09:00:55PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
> On 7/27/20 8:45 PM, Ken Moffat via lfs-dev wrote:
> > I see that a newer gettext is now out, which probably allows
> > bison-3.7.0 to build.  Meanwhile, I'm hopeful that bison-3.7.1 will
> > be out soon, with tests to detect whether it can use the functions
> > added in 3.7 or must fall back to functions available in e.g.
> > gettext-0.20.2.
> >
> > But meanwhile (and particularly re testing/measuring rust and its
> > users in BLFS) I'm trying to get my head around what else in LFS is
> > likely to change for LFS-10.0 - particularly toolchain packages.
>
> > For the main toolchain, I think that gcc-10.2.0 will be in, and from
> > what Bruce said the other day on BLFS, a newer glibc.  AFAICS,
> > llvm-11 will not arrive until September and therefore llvm-10.0.1 is
> > as new as we'll be using.
> >
> > Anything else, anyone, or anything wrong in what I've written here ?
>
> All the tickets at http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/query?owner=~&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=milestone&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=time&order=owner

Thanks, I think - pasting that into links ( still building firefox )
gives me tickets 1-100 of 4017 (highest priority defects, tickets
#13 to #517 ).

I'll look tomorrow when firefox is built.

But I'm more concerned about things that people who have been
following individual packages know are likely to be released soon
;-)

> > Also, any thoughts on when we can start testing 10.0, and therefore
> > which kernel series to use (5.8.0 will either be released on Sunday,
> > or else a week later) - in my current build I've used what is in the
> > book (5.7.9) rather than 5.8-rc, but it feels "so old" ;-)
>
> We will try to get everything that is current on Aug 15.  After that thee
> will only be very limited updates -- nothing major.

OK, thanks for confirming that August 15 is the cutoff.

> > I'm trying to optimize my time for testing, and measuring, the
> > packages which use rust - hopefully to propose 1.45.0, but also to
> > measure their sizes and build-slowness with both gcc and clang.  For
> > example, with current rustc-1.42.0 I know that firefox using the
> > book's options builds faster with gccc than with llvm-10.0.0.  I'd
> > like to be able to offer gcc as an option for thunderbird (for
> > people who care about security - llvm is poor on security options).
>
> I'll be updating everything that's open this weekend.
>
>   -- Bruce

ĸen
--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
                          - Hogfather