[lfs-dev] Expected package changes for LFS-10.0 ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 27 18:45:18 PDT 2020

I see that a newer gettext is now out, which probably allows
bison-3.7.0 to build.  Meanwhile, I'm hopeful that bison-3.7.1 will
be out soon, with tests to detect whether it can use the functions
added in 3.7 or must fall back to functions available in e.g.
gettext-0.20.2.

But meanwhile (and particularly re testing/measuring rust and its
users in BLFS) I'm trying to get my head around what else in LFS is
likely to change for LFS-10.0 - particularly toolchain packages.

For the main toolchain, I think that gcc-10.2.0 will be in, and from
what Bruce said the other day on BLFS, a newer glibc.  AFAICS,
llvm-11 will not arrive until September and therefore llvm-10.0.1 is
as new as we'll be using.

Anything else, anyone, or anything wrong in what I've written here ?

Also, any thoughts on when we can start testing 10.0, and therefore
which kernel series to use (5.8.0 will either be released on Sunday,
or else a week later) - in my current build I've used what is in the
book (5.7.9) rather than 5.8-rc, but it feels "so old" ;-)

I'm trying to optimize my time for testing, and measuring, the
packages which use rust - hopefully to propose 1.45.0, but also to
measure their sizes and build-slowness with both gcc and clang.  For
example, with current rustc-1.42.0 I know that firefox using the
book's options builds faster with gccc than with llvm-10.0.0.  I'd
like to be able to offer gcc as an option for thunderbird (for
people who care about security - llvm is poor on security options).

TIA

ĸen
--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
                          - Hogfather