[lfs-dev] Errors with Linux From Scratch Version SVN-20200707

Xi Ruoyao xry111 at mengyan1223.wang
Sat Jul 11 08:06:47 PDT 2020

On 2020-07-11 09:54 -0500, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
> On 7/11/20 7:38 AM, Xi Ruoyao via lfs-dev wrote:
> > On 2020-07-11 11:28 +0000, John Frankish via lfs-dev wrote:
> > > A couple of errors found:
> > >
> > > Chapter 6. Cross Compiling Temporary Tools
> > > 6.7. File-5.39
> > >
> > > Building gives the error:
> > >
> > > Cannot use the installed version of file (5.37) to
> > > cross-compile file 5.39
> > > Please install file 5.39 locally first
> > >
> > > ..fixed by updating file on the host.
> >
> > Forcing a exact version of file in Host System Requirements is
> > stupid.  We'll
> > have to install a file for host system in Chap. 5.  There is also a FIXME in
> > file-5.39/magic/Makefile.am:
> >
> > > # FIXME: Build file natively as well so that it can be used to compile
> > > # the target's magic file; for now we bail if the local version does not
> > > match
> >
> > Could someone give upstream a patch for it?
>
> I don't know why this is happening in Chapter 6.  On my log I have:

> It worked fine for me when the host version of file was 5.38.

The script checks if the output of the compiler can be executed.  If it can be
executed it persumes that we are only "faking" cross compiling.  Perhaps the OP
is building for i386 on (non-multilib) x86_64 host, which would be a real cross-
compilation.

I'm not sure if we "offically" support this configuration (building for i386 on
x86_64 host OS).  But theoretically this configuration should work before cross-
chap5.
--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111 at mengyan1223.wang>