[lfs-dev] Errors with Linux From Scratch Version SVN-20200707

Xi Ruoyao xry111 at mengyan1223.wang
Sat Jul 11 05:38:38 PDT 2020

On 2020-07-11 11:28 +0000, John Frankish via lfs-dev wrote:
> A couple of errors found:
>
> Chapter 6. Cross Compiling Temporary Tools
> 6.7. File-5.39
>
> Building gives the error:
>
> Cannot use the installed version of file (5.37) to
> cross-compile file 5.39
> Please install file 5.39 locally first
>
> ..fixed by updating file on the host.

Forcing a exact version of file in Host System Requirements is stupid.  We'll
have to install a file for host system in Chap. 5.  There is also a FIXME in
file-5.39/magic/Makefile.am:

> # FIXME: Build file natively as well so that it can be used to compile
> # the target's magic file; for now we bail if the local version does not match

Could someone give upstream a patch for it?

> Chapter 6. Cross Compiling Temporary Tools
> 6.10. Grep-3.4
>
> Building pulls in a dep on libpcre from the host, which causes problems later,
> but can be fixed with "--disable-perl-regexp"

It's because configure script picks up the host pkg-config.  Other packages may
have similar issue.

I think we should create a "fake" x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-pkg-config:

ln -sv /bin/false /mnt/lfs/tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-pkg-config

> Also, but probably out of scope,
>
> Chapter 5. Compiling a Cross-Toolchain
> 5.5. Glibc-2.31
>
> Fails for arm (RPi) with a long double error fixed with an upstream patch:
>
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/glibc-cvs/2020q1/069150.html

Glibc-2.32 will be released soon (the scheduled date is Aug. 1st).
--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111 at mengyan1223.wang>