[lfs-dev] Concerning iana-etc

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 20:12:12 PDT 2019

On 7/18/19 9:36 PM, DJ Lucas via lfs-dev wrote:

> On 7/7/2019 5:28 PM, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> https://github.com/djlucas/iana-etc <-- In the interim. I emailed
>>> Seth, haven't heard from him in several years.
>>
>> Are you going to update the book?

> Okay, I've heard back from Seth, and he is cool with me taking over
> maintenance (he hasn't used it in some time) if we'd even like to keep
> it in the book. I've created a 4.0 release (per his suggestion, since
> somebody else has long ago done an unrelated 3.0 release and forgotten
> it). Whether we continue to use it is up to y'all. I'm fine with just
> downloading a static copy for LFS and making mention of the two awk
> scripts at some point as well, or putting a script in BLFS to update
> them occasionally.

My preference would be for the last suggestion.  LFS can just install
the two files.  An optional script in BLFS to do updates would be
reasonable, but we could even do without that since the missing changes
since 2008 do not seem to affect any of our users.

> On that note, at some point I'd like to create an LFS organization for
> github, specifically to host little things like make-ca, this, or
> initd-tools as I do expect to make some fairly minor, but functional
> changes to that one (to account for systemd-compat and missing
> facilities). I've not yet gotten a hold of Dan (I haven't done anything
> other than import it yet).

You can do that if you want, but we do have anduin for hosting.

   -- Bruce