[lfs-dev] Concerning iana-etc

DJ Lucas blfs-dev at lucasit.com
Thu Jul 18 19:36:28 PDT 2019

On 7/7/2019 5:28 PM, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
> On 7/7/19 5:23 PM, DJ Lucas via lfs-dev wrote:
>>

>> On 7/3/2019 10:06 AM, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
>>> On 7/3/19 1:17 AM, DJ Lucas via lfs-dev wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> This is an interesting idea, but I think for LFS it would be better
>>> to host the files on anduin for download.  The update is really not
>>> very critical.  After all we have been working with the current
>>> version since 2008 without issue.
>>>
>>> (Looking at the current XML files, protocols was last updated
>>> 2017-10-13 but services was updated 2019-07-02 (yesterday). )
>>>
>>> Right now we create a tarball with all packages that is available
>>> for download.  After that, for LFS, an internet connection is not
>>> needed. I'd like to keep it that way.
>>>
>>> We could but the script on anduin to keep the files updated like we
>>> do with firmware.  We could also put the update script into BLFS
>>> similar to make-ca.
>>>
>>> Another thought for BLFS is to just download the xml files with wget
>>> and use xsltproc and a custom .xsl file to parse the xml.
>
>> https://github.com/djlucas/iana-etc <-- In the interim. I emailed
>> Seth, haven't heard from him in several years.
>
> Are you going to update the book?
>
>   -- Bruce
Okay, I've heard back from Seth, and he is cool with me taking over
maintenance (he hasn't used it in some time) if we'd even like to keep
it in the book. I've created a 4.0 release (per his suggestion, since
somebody else has long ago done an unrelated 3.0 release and forgotten
it). Whether we continue to use it is up to y'all. I'm fine with just
downloading a static copy for LFS and making mention of the two awk
scripts at some point as well, or putting a script in BLFS to update
them occasionally.

On that note, at some point I'd like to create an LFS organization for
github, specifically to host little things like make-ca, this, or
initd-tools as I do expect to make some fairly minor, but functional
changes to that one (to account for systemd-compat and missing
facilities). I've not yet gotten a hold of Dan (I haven't done anything
other than import it yet).

--DJ