[lfs-dev] Searching for a chapter on multilib

DJ Lucas blfs-dev at lucasit.com
Fri Jul 12 15:53:48 PDT 2019

On 7/12/2019 6:37 AM, Lewis Pike via lfs-dev wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:37:40AM -0400, Cindy Sue Causey via lfs-dev wrote:
>> Woohoo, I got one! Try this:
>>
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/lfs-systemd-multilib/index.html
>>
>> I hit up a search engine, and the 404 (gone to Atlanta) dead link is
>> still findable on the front page. That felt like a nice, positive
>> sign, actually, that this might be something recent (for whatever that
>> might mean, GRIN).
>>
>> Same search engine also very graciously had provided a sample page.
>> Clicking the internal "Home" link on that sample page then landed the
>> at least still momentarily functional page above. A quick, highly
>> unscientific sampling of internal link clicking shows everything else
>> *might* still be working correctly.
>>
>> Hope that helps!
>>
>> Cindy :)
> This looks like just the thing!  Better still, what you've found is
> labeled as version 20181112-systemd-multilib, which is more recent
> than what I had been using.
>
> To anyone who might have a similar interest, Chapter 10 "Adding
> multilib to an existing system" does not appear in the table of
> contents but navigating to
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/lfs-systemd-multilib/chapter10/chapter10.html
> reveals its existence.
>
> I also noticed a distributable copy can be grabbed at
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/lfs-systemd-multilib.tar.bz2.
> That's what I'll be doing this time. ;)
>
> Thanks, Cindy!
>
> .lewis.

Not sure why my mobile messages aren't reaching the list, but as already
stated, please use Thomas's book in the future. It's still a partially
manual merge process, but Thomas has done a great job integrating the
changes directly into chapter5/6 and has been keeping it up to date with
trunk, with only a little lag. It's built in-line and as mentioned, is
kept up to date with a much better frequency than I was able to do.  The
Chapter 10 that you found is there only by chance and is really old
(August 2018 - I didn't clean the target directory before extracting the
new copy). I won't remove it immediately, but it will go away
eventually, probably with 9.0 in September, so get your notes together,
maybe put it up in the LFS wiki if you think it still valuable. I did
have a patch for jhalfs that was relatively simple for Thomas's build,
but it's went away with last cleanup, but was not difficult. I think all
I had to do was to expand the glibc-* target so that the multiple builds
were possible, but with the multiple copies of the book, amd64+i686/x32,
it has to be expanded again to cope. I'll take a stab at adding it back
this weekend if somebody else hasn't already.

--DJ