[lfs-dev] Old info?

Marty Jack martyj19 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 10 06:26:37 PDT 2019

On 07/10/2019 08:02 AM, Julien Lepiller via lfs-dev wrote:
> Hi, I'm doing a big review on our French translation and found this in creating partition:
>
> For example /dev/sda for the primary integrated drive electronics (IDE) disk.
>
> My computers since long do not use IDE anymore, but my disks are still called /dev/sdx. Am I missing something?

The "S" is for SCSI - the Small Computer System Interface - that was used to connect hard drives beginning in 1986.
The control protocol defined there has been reused with the the IDE, SATA, and USB Storage physical layers.
The Linux kernel makes all these devices look as if they are SCSI, at some level.  If you look at the kernel configure you will see this.
The system I am on now has /dev/nvme0, a solid state device, so eventually /dev/sdx will become extinct for all but USB Storage.

I agree the book text should be modernized in this area, at least to mention the possibility of solid state being different.